The Course Format
Part 1: Vocal Technique, October 25, 2017-December 13, 2017
- Wednesday evenings
- 8 sessions, consecutive weeks
Part 2: Embodying the Song in Sound, February 9-March 23, 2018
- Friday evenings
- 4 sessions, alternate weeks
Details Part 1
- Engaging with the ‘Unknown Partner’ - an artist's guide to authentic connection
- YOGA for the body/ mind/ spirit with SYLVIA DEL VALLE GARCIA
A demonstration will be applied as a template for the Participants as follows:
- Technical Description: I will describe specific technical concepts of sound, building fundamentally and systematically week to week.
- Technical Demonstration: Each technical concept will be accompanied by a vocal demonstration with my voice.
- Performance Demonstration: I will sing the same phrase with ecstatic expression.
Each participant in the role of Teacher will teach the same concepts through the same process to another Participant in the role of Student. Within each session the roles can be reversed. Hearing the concepts repeated many times, while tuning the ear towards ‘before and after’ will solidify knowledge and bring confirmation.
- Q & A Each week's teaching is accumulative so all information is reviewed.
- Participants are encouraged to give feedback and answer question.
Details Part 2
As delineated in the calendar below, the second half of the course will bring in 4 songs per student giving opportunity to experience full expression with technical skill in 4 different genres and periods of music. This provides a repertoire palette wide in range which technique and talent should be able to emulate and with which singers and teachers must be familiar.
Calendar: Part 1 & 2
PART 1: VOCAL TECHNIQUE - 8 consecutive weeks
- Dates: October 25 - December 13
- Day: Consecutive Wednesdays
- Time: 7:00-10:00 p.m.
- Venue: Bethlehem Lutheran Church, 320 East 15th @ Sophie (1 block east of Main St)
PART 2: EMBODYING THE SOUND IN SONG - 4 sessions, alternating weeks
- February 9: Early Music - Italian Art Song, Dowland, Purcel, Gluck, etc
- February 23: Art song - any period/culture
- March 9: Aria: Opera /Oratorio /Concert - any period
- March 23: Pop / Musical Theater / Cabaret / Country / Jazz
- Time: 7:00-10:00 p.m
- Venue: Faith Presbyterian Church E 45 @ Clarendon
- Pianist: Eric Hominic - in class piano collaborator included in tuition fee. Additional coaching with Mr. Hominick is available: $60 per hr
"There is passion here for the sound of the HUMAN singing voice which, when mined of its physical possibilities and infused with boundlessness of BEING, can taste freedom and experience joy and wonder." - Heidi Klassen